Water Restoration Tips Charleston SC
These tips were compiled by the National Institute of Charleston Disaster Restoration. Not all of these tips may apply to your particular situation. Use your common sense.
Disaster Restoration: Charleston SC Water Damage Tips:
Tips to Do:
* Mop and blot as much extra water as possible.
* Remove lamps and tabletop items then wipe water from your furniture
* Remove all upholstery cushions so they will dry evenly.
* Put aluminum foil, saucers or wood blocks between the furniture legs and the carpeting that is wet.
* Make sure the air conditioning is on if it’s summertime. Alternate opening your windows and heating to speed up the drying, if it is wintertime.
* Open all drawers and your cabinet doors. Do not force any drawers that may be stuck.
* Remove any valuables including oil paintings or art objects
* Do not go into any rooms were the ceilings are sagging from water.
* Open any suitcases and luggage removing any clothing so they can dry in sunlight, if possible.
* Punch small holes in ceilings that are sagging. It will relieve water that is trapped. Place pans beneath.
TIPS on What To Avoid
* Do not leave any wet fabrics in place. Dry them asap. Use heat to dry furs and leather goods.
* Leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors.
* Use your household vacuum to remove water.
* Use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpet or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
* Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet.